Sunday Review: Sleeping, Ginger Jars, and moreMarch 23, 2020
It has been quite a week. Like all of you, we’ve been adjusting the what is new for the time being. It’s been hard; but there’s been such goodness intermingled. I’ve had to be extra careful to notice the good when it does happen because I’ll be terribly honest and say that I’m much more likely to focus on what is tough. There’s a running note on my phone currently with things I’ve loved. Remembering the things of beauty of goodness that are still present (and many that have emerged because of what is happening in the world) has been so helpful with staying focused, calm, and content.
And one of those major things that I am still so giddy about is the launch of Elemuse. Thank you for making it so special! You’re encouragement has meant so much to me. And it’s been such fun diving right into planning and writing and creating. I have so much I’m looking forward to sharing with you!
The first of which is The Sunday Review! This, along with short & sweet personal updates will be sent out to my email subscribers first, and then I’ll post the Sunday Review portion for quick and easy access here! For today’s Sunday Review, I’ve gathered 5 things that have brought a bit of rest, joy, and beauty to a week full of unexpected change. Enjoy!
- With all that has been happening, sleep has been a bit more difficult this week. I’ve been finding myself wide awake at 3AM many of the last few nights with racing thoughts and feeling both wide awake and exhausted – not ideal. This isn’t the first time I’ve struggled with sleeping. And I’ve found that when my stress is up (something that is very understandable for us all this week), sleeping gets tough. So this week, I’ve been using a few methods to make sure I get a bit enough sleep.
- Bearby ‘Napper’ Weighted Blanket– Seth surprised me with this for Christmas this year, and it’s been one of the best things that has helped me turn off my mind at the end of a long day. I love that it’s the perfect blend of form and function.
- Rain Rain App – I find it so hard to sleep when it’s completely quiet. This free app lets you make your own mix of white noise & nature noises for the perfect sleep blend.
- Calm App – This is another app that I love and use daily. It’s full of guided meditation, nature sounds, and sleep stories (these are my favorite! I’ve never fallen asleep faster in my life). While it is not free, it has been well worth the investment. If you’re new to mediating, I was too before starting this app. And I promise it’s not nearly as woo-woo as you think. Just think of it as guided mindfulness.
- Sleep Mask – don’t let the fear of looking silly deter you from the simple wonder that is a sleep mask. I originally tried one to help block light, but found that I really love the calming pressure of wearing one. It’s similar to a weighted blanket, but for your eyes. I use and love this silk one. And I’m also interested in trying out this weighted version.
2. I am currently listening to “The 100-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared” by Jonas Jonasson. It’s delightful! Be sure to download the Libby App and connect your library card to listen to it for free!
3. One beautiful thing that has been emerging over the last week or two is access to so much art! From museum curators putting exhibits online, to Google bringing us works and stories by Frida Kahlo, and even John Legend doing an Instagram Live concert – it’s been a week with access to some truly beautiful things!
4. We are moving on Saturday! And while practicing social distancing in an apartment full of boxes and now-art-less-walls has no been my favorite, I’m so excited for our new place! It is at darling 1940s apartment in a downtown neighborhood just minutes away from both mine and Seth’s offices. We cannot wait! The apartment is far from fancy but has the large windows, wood floors, and crown molding that makes me so happy. At this time in my life, character and location are outweighing some of the convenience that comes with newer apartments. And my design wheels have been turning since we signed the lease last month! It’s the perfect place to begin collecting some classic decor and furniture pieces that I’ve been loving for months. And since I haven’t been able to measure for furniture quite yet, I’ve been eyeing just a few decor pieces that really sum up the feel of what I’m going for. This ginger jar is at the top of my love list!
5. Hello spring dresses! Spring has definitely arrived here in the Carolinas! The pollen is rampant; We hit a slightly wild high of 82 on Thursday; And I’m so looking forward to spring and summer dresses! This Sezane blue & white striped dress caught my eye this week.
Leave a Comment